- Title Pages
- Figures and Tables
- Chapter One A New Perspective on the Carceral State
- Chapter Two Penal Modernization in the Civil Rights Era, 1954–1970
- Chapter Three Prison Overcrowding and the Legal Challenge to Florida’s Prison System, 1970–1980
- Chapter Four The Unintended Consequences of Prison Litigation, 1980–1991
- Chapter Five The Politics of Early Release, 1991–1995
- Chapter Six Republicans, Prosecutors, and the Carceral Ethos, 1995–2008
- Chapter Seven Recession-Era Colorblind Politics and the Challenge of Decarceration, 2008–2016
- Chapter Eight Toward a New Ethos
- Selected Bibliography
- The Chicago Series in Law and Society
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.