- Title Pages
- Prologue: The Man Himself
- Note on Arabic words
- Introduction Why “laughter”?
- One Exploring origins
- Two Studying anthropology in Oregon
- Three Being Lebanese
- Four Religious Syncretism
- Five Lebanese traders in West Africa
- Six Change as faith
- Seven Teaching in Beirut
- Eight Establishing an Arab association for the social sciences
- Nine The Exotic in the Suburbs of Beirut
- Ten Alumni and ʿ<i>ulama</i> in Bahrain
- Eleven Open secrets
- Twelve Table manners in Yemen
- Thirteen The official policy toward emigration in Lebanon
- Fourteen The Arab rich
- Fifteen Who wants to be a <i>Zaʿīm?</i>
- Sixteen Living in Great Britain
- Appendix 1 List of Research Projects
- Appendix 2 List of Publications
- An Invitation to Laughter
- University of Chicago Press
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.