- Title Pages
- One Introduction: The Causes and Consequences of the Prison Boom
- Two Have You Seen My Backyard? Rural Ecology, Disrepute, and Prison Placement
- Three “It’s Like the City, Only Quieter”: Making the Rural Ghetto
- Four Finding Beauty in the Hideous: Prison Placement as Reputation Management
- Five How Not in My Backyard Became Please in My Backyard: Toward a Model of Prison Placement
- Six The Prison in My Backyard: Reconsidering Impact
- Seven The Tarnished Jewel of the Delta: Continuity and Change in Caste, Class, and Disrepute
- Eight Bringing Down the Big House: The Political Economy of Prison Proliferation
- Methodological Appendix A The Multiple Imagined Positionalities of the Black Scholar in the Deep South
- Methodological Appendix B Research Design
- Works Cited
- Big House on the Prairie
John M. Eason
- University of Chicago Press
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.