Jump to ContentJump to Main Navigation
The Truth about Conservative ChristiansWhat They Think and What They Believe$
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content.

Andrew M. Greeley and Michael Hout

Print publication date: 2006

Print ISBN-13: 9780226306629

Published to Chicago Scholarship Online: March 2013

DOI: 10.7208/chicago/9780226306759.001.0001

Show Summary Details
Page of

PRINTED FROM CHICAGO SCHOLARSHIP ONLINE (www.chicago.universitypressscholarship.com). (c) Copyright University of Chicago Press, 2022. All Rights Reserved. An individual user may print out a PDF of a single chapter of a monograph in CHSO for personal use.date: 25 June 2022

Conservative Christian Growth: Membership Begins at Home1

Conservative Christian Growth: Membership Begins at Home1

(p.103) Seven Conservative Christian Growth: Membership Begins at Home1
The Truth about Conservative Christians
University of Chicago Press

More American Protestants today prefer the Conservative denominations than the Mainline ones. The Conservatives, it is said, have a strong appeal for American Protestants because of their emphasis on traditional evangelical teachings. The Mainline clergy have sent their flocks elsewhere by some combination of liberal politics and “feel-good” religion. By their collective reckoning, the growth of the Conservative denominations represents a reaction against “excessive liberalism” in which people raised in Mainline denominations register displeasure with the (supposed) liberal ethos of Mainline Protestantism by leaving to join denominations that emphasize the Conservative beliefs they share. This chapter aims to dispatch the “excessive liberalism” argument and to supplant it definitively with a demographic one. It shows that for most of the twentieth century, women in Conservative Protestant denominations had more children than women in Mainline denominations. The larger families gave Conservative denominations such a huge demographic advantage that it explains 70 percent of the Conservative upsurge. The remaining 30 percent came from a drop in conversions out of Conservative denominations into the Mainline.

Keywords:   Conservative Protestants, Mainline Protestants, liberalism, demographic expansion

Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.

Please, subscribe or login to access full text content.

If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.

To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.