- Title Pages
- Introduction Why Prince Edward County?
- One White Supremacy and Black Resistance in Prince Edward County and Virginia
- Two No Middle Ground
- Three Breaking the Basket of Eggs
- Four “The Doors Was Chained, So I Knew Then”
- Five The Federal Government Confronts the “Lone Pocket of Ludicrous Resistance”
- SIX “Clean as a Hound's Tooth”
- Seven From the Courtroom to the Street
- Eight The Grudging Resumption of Public Education
- Conclusion <i>A County ahead of Its Time</i>?
- Southern Stalemate
- University of Chicago Press
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.