- Title Pages
- part i The Hunt for Eden
- Chapter 1 The Wolf is at the Door-Who's Afraid?
- Chapter 2 The Shy Giant of the Forest
- Chapter 3 A Tropical Primate in Alaska
- Chapter 4 Emissaries of a Dying Epoch
- part ii The Meek and the Bold
- Chapter 5 Subarctic Shadows
- Chapter 6 To Know Thy Enemy
- Chapter 7 Among the Naive
- Chapter 8 A Tiger East of the Sun
- part iii A Search for Ice Age Relicts
- chapter 9 A Continent of Virgins and Recent Ghosts
- Chapter 10 On Being Caribou and Musk Ox
- Chapter 11 Islands of Ice and Innocence
- part iv The Predator's Gaze
- Chapter 12 Changing the Rules of Engagement
- Chapter 13 Nomads of the Gobi
- Chapter 14 The Silent Cats of Patagonia
- part v Making the Beast More Savage, or Less?
- Chapter 15 A Credibility Conundrum
- Chapter 16 Different Sides of the Darwinian Divide
- chapter 17 Of Fear and Culture
- Readings of Interest and Exploration
- The Better to Eat You With
- University of Chicago Press
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.