- Title Pages
- Note on Orthography
- Chapter one Centuries of Youth: Remembering, Incorporation, and the Reclamation of History
- Chapter Two Kings, Slaves, and Floating Populations: Discourses of Centrality and Marginality in the Precolonial Era
- Chapter Three Masks of Terror and the Subjection of Cadets
- Chapter Four <i>Aurora colonialis</i>: German Imperialism and the Modernity of Slavery
- Chapter Five Embodied Histories: Royal Investiture, Masking, and Remembering
- Chapter Six From Slaves to Free Boys: Cadets' Resistance to Gerontocratic, Colonial, and Postcolonial Authority
- Chapter Seven The Death of Tears: Mortuary Rites and the Indeterminacy of Dance
- Chapter Eight Dancing Death: Memorial Celebrations, the Politics of Ritual Laughter, and the Embodied Memories of Youth
- Chapter Nine Histories of the Present, Histories of the Future
- Reference List
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.