- Title Pages
- 1 Introduction: The Sistine Gap
- 2 The Imitation of Life in Ancient Greek Philosophy
- 3 The Devil as Automaton: Giovanni Fontana and the Meanings of a Fifteenth-Century Machine
- 4 Infinite Gesture: Automata and the Emotions in Descartes and Shakespeare
- 5 Abstracting from the Soul: The Mechanics of Locomotion
- 6 The Anatomy of Artificial Life: An Eighteenth-Century Perspective
- 7 The Homunculus and the Mandrake: Art Aiding Nature versus Art Faking Nature
- 8 Sex Ratio Theory, Ancient and Modern: An Eighteenth-Century Debate about Intelligent Design and the Development of Models in Evolutionary Biology
- 9 The Gender of Automata in Victorian Britain
- 10 Techno-Humanism: Requiem for the Cyborg
- 11 Nanobots and Nanotubes: Two Alternative Biomimetic Paradigms of Nanotechnology
- 12 Creating Insight: Gestalt Theory and the Early Computer
- 13 Perpetual Devotion: A Sixteenth-Century Machine That Prays
- 14 Motions and Passions
- 15 An Archaeology of Artificial Life, Underwater
- 16 Booting Up Baby
- 17 Body Language
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.