- Title Pages
- Spelling Conventions for Greek Names
- Introduction Eunuchs of Byzantium: Context and Definition
- Part I Gender as Social Construct
- Chapter 1 The Language of Gender
- Chapter 2 Byzantine Medical Lore and the Gendering of Eunuchs
- Chapter 3 Gender Construction as Acculturation
- Chapter 4 Making Sense of Tradition: Regendering Legendary Narratives
- Part II Becoming Protagonists
- Chapter 5 Passing the Test of Sanctity: Eunuchs and the Ecclesiastical World of Byzantium
- Chapter 6 Transgressing Gender Boundaries: Eunuchs in Authority
- Chapter 7 Transcending the Material World: Eunuchs and Angels
- Chapter 8 Eunuchs at the Palace: Gendered Space and Confirmation of the Imperial Numen
- Chapter 9 Social Reproduction and Integration
- Conclusion Past and Present Perceptions of Gender
- Appendix Spelling Equivalents, Traditional and Reformed
- Frequently Used Abbreviations
- The Perfect Servant
- University of Chicago Press
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.