- Title Pages
- Chapter One Montesquieu's Point of Departure
- Chapter Two The Theological Significance of Despotism
- Chapter Three The Theological Significance of Republics and Monarchies
- Chapter Four From Classical Civil Religion to Modern Liberal Religion
- Chapter Five Commerce and the Great Theological Experiment
- Concluding Critical Reflections
- Works Cited
- Editions of Montesquieu (with the Abbreviations Used in the Citations)
- Other Primary Sources
- Secondary Sources and Contemporary Authors
- 1. Authors
- 2. References to <i>The Spirit of the Laws</i>
- 3. Other Writings of Montesquieu
- The Theological Basis of Liberal Modernity in Montesquieu's “Spirit of the Laws”
- University of Chicago Press
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.