- Title Pages
- List of Figures and Tables
- Part I Education's Inequity: New Haven, Connecticut
- Chapter One The Emergence of White Opposition to African American Education
- Chapter Two Interracial Activism and African American Higher Education
- Part II Education's Enclave: Baltimore, Maryland
- Chapter Three Race, Labor, and Literacy in a Slaveholding City
- Chapter Four African American Educational Activism under the Shadow of Slavery
- Part III Education's Divide: Boston, Massachusetts
- Chapter Five Race, Space, and Educational Opportunity
- Chapter Six Common Schools, Revolutionary Memory, and the Crisis of Black Citizenship in the Mid-Nineteenth Century
- Conclusion: The Great Equalizer?
- Appendix 1
- Appendix 2
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.