- Title Pages
- Prologue “An Awful Stretcher”
- One The Ugly Brother
- Two Good Wives
- Three “Bliss Botanic” and “Cocks Heroic”: Two Darwins in the “Temple of Nature”
- Four Beauty Cuts the Knot
- Five Reading the Face of Race
- Six Good Breeding: The Art of Mating
- Seven “Better Than a Dog Anyhow”
- Eight Flirting with Fashion
- Nine Development Matters
- Ten Critical Years: From Pigeons to People
- Eleven Putting Female Choice in (Proper) Place
- Twelve The Battle for Beauty: Wallace versus Darwin
- Thirteen Writing the <i>Descent</i>: From Bird’s-Eye View to Masterful Breeder
- Fourteen The Post-<i>Descent</i> Years: Sexual Selection in Crisis, Female Choice at Large
- Epilogue Last Words
- Darwin and the Making of Sexual Selection
- University of Chicago Press
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.