- Title Pages
- Chapter One Introduction
- Chapter Two An Imperial Caste
- Chapter Three Hierarchies of Age and Gender in the Mughal Construction of Domesticity and Empire
- Chapter Four Race and the Middle Ages
- Chapter Five The Spanish Race
- Chapter Six The Black Legend and Global Conspiracies
- Chapter Seven Of Books, Popes, and Huacas; or, the Dilemmas of Being Christian
- Chapter Eight The View of the Empire from the Altepetl
- Chapter Nine “Race” and “Class” in the Spanish Colonies of America
- Chapter Ten Unfixing Race
- Chapter Eleven Discipline and Love
- Chapter Twelve Rereading Theodore De Bry's Black Legend
- Chapter Thirteen West of Eden
- Chapter Fourteen Blackening “the Turk” in Roger Ascham's a Report of Germany
- Chapter Fifteen Nations into Persons
- Afterword What Does the Black Legend Have to Do with Race?
- Rereading the Black Legend
- University of Chicago Press
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.