- Title Pages
- Part I Socialism as a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy—The Party's Project
- 1 From Marx to Conscious Social Transformation
- 2 Aporias of Producing Right Consciousness
- Part II Contingencies and Dynamics of Understanding—The Theory
- 3 Constituting Understandings through Validations
- 4 Dialectics in Spaces of Validation
- Part III Becoming Socialist Men—The Stasi Officers
- 5 Guardians of the Party State
- 6 Stasi Culture—Authority, Networks, and Discourses
- Part IV Disenchantment, Disengagement, Opposition—The Dissidents
- 7 When Someone's Eden Becomes Another's Purgatory
- 8 Forming Groups, Organizing Opposition
- Part V Policing Understandings—Reproducing Misunderstandings
- 9 Attempting to Know and Control the Opposition
- Political Epistemics
- University of Chicago Press
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.