- Title Pages
- Introduction: The New Evolutionary Paradigm
- 1 Synergy: Another Idea Whose Time Has Come?
- 2 Holistic Darwinism: Synergistic Selection and the Evolutionary Process
- 3. The Synergism Hypothesis: On the Concept of Synergy and Its Role in the Evolution of Complex Systems
- 4 Synergy versus Self-Organization in the Evolution of Complex Systems
- 5 The Re-Emergence of Emergence: A Venerable Concept in Search of a Theory
- 6 Synergy, Cybernetics, and the Evolution of Politics
- 7 Devolution as an Opportunity to Test the Synergism Hypothesis and the Cybernetic Theory of Political Systems
- 8 Synergy and the Evolution of Superorganisms: Past, Present, and Future
- 9 Evolutionary Economics: Metaphor or Unifying Paradigm?
- 10 Bioeconomics as a Subversive Science
- 11 Biological Adaptation in Human Societies: A Basic Needs Approach
- 12 To Be or Entropy: Thermodynamics, Information, and Life Revisited
- 13 Thermoeconomics: Beyond the Second Law
- 14 Control Information: The Missing Element in Norbert Wiener's Cybernetic Paradigm?
- 15 Evolutionary Ethics: An Idea Whose Time Has Come?
- 16 The Sociobiology of Democracy: Is Authoritarianism in Our Genes?
- 17 Fair Shares: A Biological Approach to Social Justice
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.