- Title Pages
- Acknowledgments and a Note on the Writing of This Book
- One Buddhist Life at Mergen
- Two Mergen Gegen and the Arts of Language
- Three Mergen Monastery and Its Landscape
- Four Duke Galdan, Perspectives on the Self in the Qing Era
- Five <i>Sülde</i>: The “Spirit of Invincibility,” Its Multiplicity and Its Secrets
- Six The Afterlife of the 8th Mergen Gegen
- Seven Sengge: A Lama's Knowledge and Its Vicissitudes
- Eight The Chorji Lama: Inheriting from the Past in a New World
- Nine Regroupings of Laity
- Ten Tradition and Archivization
- Epilogue Dispersion and Creation
- A Monastery in Time
- University of Chicago Press
Chicago Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.